The Wonder of Connections
by Pastor Joe Schiren

We live in a world of connections. Invisible lines of contact, influence, inspiration, interaction, cause and effect, and even control radiate out from each of us to entwine and bind us all together. For instance, my decision to buy, or to not buy, a cup of coffee has ramifications not only for the coffee shop owner, but also for the employees, the landlord, the coffee distributor, the employees of the company that makes the cups, the children of the people who invested in the company that makes the plastic used to manufacture the lids, and so forth. Closer to home, and a bit less esoteric, my family and friends are affected by my attitude and actions, and they affect me because we are connected.



The dictionary defines connection as the act or state of being united, joined, linked, related, or associated. I want to think about our connections, how we unite, join, link, relate, and associate with one another, with God, and with the universe. As a follower of Jesus, I think of my life in this way: My life consists of three sets of connections: my connection to the universe around me, my connection to God, and my connections to other people.  


My connection to the universe in which we live is a connection of wonder and amazement. Whether I’m looking up, and back in time, at the starry sky above, or looking at the beautiful Adirondack scenery around me, I delight in the truth that I am part of all this complexity and power. I can sing with the ancient psalmist: “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands” (Psalm 19:1). I’m fascinated, not just with the wonders of nature, but the creations of humanity. I marvel at systems, and procedures, and collections. Just the other night I was talking with my friend Peter about the process of offset printing and how a photograph can be separated into 4 colors and then printed onto paper with magnificently complex machines. Stuff like that just makes me giddy. I marvel at flowers, trees, mountains, stars, galaxies, cities, families, factories, music, color, networks, mathematics, trains, cookies, and countless other things around me. I am 53 years old and haven’t lost my childhood sense of wonder of it all. I pray I never do.   

My connection to the universe around me fills me with a great sense of joy and a deep sense of responsibility. What does your connection to the universe mean to you? Feel free to gives some feedback below, and let’s have a conversation. 

Pastor Joe Schiren is the Worship and Connections Pastor at the Potsdam Church of the Nazarene.

1 comment:

  1. I see God's glory
    in all He has made.
    Just as you look at a painting
    and see the glory of the artist.
    Trees are humbled and brought low
    in an ice storm.
    Branches are raised in worship
    toward the creator
    on a summer day,
    birds and babies sing
    unknown songs in languages
    understood only by their maker.
    God thunders in the ocean,
    Stands majestic like the mountains,
    breaks hearts in the breeze,
    shows His favor in the sun...
    And I am changed by the Word of God,
    just as rain quenches
    and brings life to the desert.
    For since the creation
    of the world
    God’s invisible qualities
    —his eternal power
    and divine nature
    —have been clearly seen,
    being understood
    from what has been made,
    so that people
    are without excuse.

    ReplyDelete